Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Labyrinth," by Kate Mosse



"Labyrinth" moves between two main characters, Alice Tanner in present day France, and Alais in the French city, Carcasonne, in the 12th century.

This book was entirely too long. At 528 pages, "Labyrinth" was more of a well-written history book than a mystery novel. Cathars, the Grail, Egypt, French stuff, bloody wars in the name of religion, etc. I can't be bothered to go into detail.

Basically, a decent storyline, with characters whom you do actually care about, was bogged down by way too much historic detail and an unbelievable ending.

2.5 stars

6 comments:

i i eee said...

Bummer.

Chica said...

I finally finished it yesterday! I agree with your take on it - you do actually care about the characters but you quickly reach the point where you're like "Come on, END already, I want to start that other book that's been sitting on my nightstand for a week and looks so seductively slim and fun." Or maybe that was just me...

I think even Mosse got sick of it, the last chapter before the epilogue seemed really rushed and unconvincing?

Rachie said...

So how was the Goblin King in the book versus the movie? ;)

Hey, I'm looking for stuff to read. Why don't you shoot me some suggestions?

April said...

Chica, I wholeheartedly agree. I got sick of reading it and just wanted to be done with it. And yeah, the ending stunk.

Rachel, are you a Rachel that I know and love or one whom I've yet to meet? And what kind of books tickle your fancy? From your answers, I will suggest some good reading.

Anonymous said...

I'm the Rachel you know and love! (Well, one of them, anyway--TOWR!)

I like all sorts of books, really. I'll read pretty much anything anybody thrusts into my hands and says, "Read this."

April said...

Rachel, I will think of books for you over the weekend and then get back to you.